The hotel is located outside the town area, so it's nice and quite. the staff is really friendly and helpful, and breakfast was okay - not a great variety to choose from.
The swimming pool is a nice area to relax, and you can park inside the gate so your car is safe!
You must choose this hotel carefully depending on what you want to do. If you prefer isolation, small private swimming pool, late breakfast and are not bothered about anything else, this is the place for you.
We wanted to explore Knysna and this hotel was a bad choice. We were also somewhat misled by luxury 4 star description.
1. Isolated location- well away from town. You can not step outside. It is not safe after 7 pm.
2. Cumbersome access arrangements - electric gate etc.
3. No attendant after 7 pm.
4. No air conditioning. Only a pedestal fan.
5. Breakfast was available only at 8 am. We were clearly warned- do not go to breakfast room before 8 am! Every other hotel where we stayed in South Africa, had BF starting at 6.30 am. This seriously delayed the start of our sightseeing day.
6. BF was extremely basic quality and no variety/ choice. The vegetarian options were bread and cereals! Every other hotel we stayed at, were happy to make hot porridge at request but not this one.
7. Very loud bird/animal noises at 5 am waking you up from sleep.
8. Dirty hand towel not replaced. Soap bar almost finished but not replaced. When you return at 9 pm, there is no one to talk to about these small issues.
By no stretch of imagination, this a four star luxury accommodation.
Some people may like this. We did not.
We stayed for 3 nights, including New Year's Eve 2017/2018. Erik & Ypie & staff are warm and welcoming. We used Knysna as a 'base of operations' for day trips along the Garden route. Our room was delightful with patio doors onto a small deck. The breakfast was excellent with a good varietyboth indooe & outdoor seating was available (depending on the weather). Secure parking in the front courtyard accessed by remote control which we were given with the house/room keys. Delightful swimming pool which Erik cleverly fills with rain water with an extension from the roof gutters. Lovely large gardens area in the back. We advance planned for New Year's Eve and they were able to connect us to Sirocco Restaurant at the waterfront so that we were able to secure reservations. Knysna Country House is located away from the downtown area of Knysna in a lovely development called Hunters Home. It is about a 5 minute drive to visit the Knysna Heads (a must-see). An easy 10 minute drive to the waterfront area for shopping & restaurants.
TIP: If driving from Port Elizabeth the left turn onto George Rex Drive is poorly marked; As you come down the hill on the N2 it is the first traffic light just before the VW dealer & gas station.
They have two larger mature dogs who are friendly and generally stay out of the way....However, don't throw any food refuse (chicken bones) into an uncover trash can as we did!
Overall, a delight and we would stay again.
The guest house is really pretty, the garden is nice and the pool is great and though the bedroom was a bit old fashioned it was still really nice, the bed huge and comfortable! The room was clean and the staff always perfect.
Sandy, the lady that took care of us was awesome, fun and efficient! Merci beaucoup Sandy!
If we come back to Knysna, we'll try to spend a few more nights there!!!
Ypie en Eric are real nice people. They'll make your stay as comfortable as possible. Also the lady that welcomes you (I forgot her name) is very very nice. She'll explain everything about Knysna and Africa if you would like that. The breakfast is superb, fresh baked bread en good coffee.
The swimming pool is big and helps you to relax in this beautiful area!