I booked this room through campus summer stays. Although I was aware that this was a student accommodation, I was not prepared for the state of this building. I have stayed in two other student accommodations previously, and neither was as bad as this one. I also stayed somewhere else for my last week in Wellington, which was at a similar price, and which further made me realise how poorly Te Puni was run.
Firstly, the welcome I got was sub-par; the young man who checked me in had very little knowledge of the building or the services a summer student could access (this was after I finally found the poorly directioned front desk - you can't access the building at all without a swipe card, which makes it difficult to get inside for anyone who hasn't checked in yet). The hallway to my room was completely pitch black when I arrived, making me think I had taken a wrong turn (I hadn't). As a young woman, this was not very welcoming and I did not feel safe.
Other disappointing factors of this stay included being told an incorrect location of the laundry, the cleaning services lacking extremely (there were dead moths in the hallway outside my room for over a week, I had to ask for the bathrooms to be cleaned after the shower drains were blocked for over a week etc), and the shared kitchen facilities on my floor were shocking, with mouldy vegetables in the fridge for weeks, even after I notified staff of this. One staff member used rude words when talking to me about the state of the kitchen (the long-stay summer students seemed to get the blame for this - I used the kitchen no more than three times and suspected it was some of the short-stay visitors who had put the food in the kitchen and forgotten about it).
The breakfast in the mornings was alright, althought the frequent occurence of birds eating out of the cereal containers was unhygenic and off-putting. If you left your plate on a table for more than a few seconds, for example while grabbing a knife and fork, you would come back to see a sparrow eating some of your food. Another issue was that even though I was a long-stay student, and had pre-paid for all my meals, apparently I wasn't allowed the hot breakfast which was sometimes available, and got told off for taking some. The vegetarian dinners were shocking, and food was often recycled and the "lentin curry" would have yesterdays leftovers added to it.
The room itself was large and clean, which is why I give 2 stars.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC