After thinking about it for a while I decided to write a review of Lalaria lodge.
We were meant to spend 5 nights (we had 3 rooms) but we left after 2 nights (and we did not get any money back as everything was already paid - but they did not make us pay the minibar sodas we drunk).
I suppose part of my disappointment has to do with the fact that this is a b&b and not an hotel but, and this is a very big BUT, before I went there I checked it on google...and they are described as five star hotel, with their web site listing loads of activities. So I feel that I was misled as to what to expect. That is why I am writing this review.
Anyway, I have been thinking about the reasons why we were so disappointed with this place:
1) the access to the beach is really not pleasant - you have to walk out from the back of the hotel, cross the road, walk along a road, then walk along two fences and then you reach the beach. It is not very far at all, it is just not pleasant and generally speaking I prefer to access the beach and walk along the beach on a nice path
2) the pool is rather small and the robot cleaner seemed to be constantly inside, at least when I was sitting there. Again, not a big deal nut not nice either
3) breakfast - served from 7:30....first morning I went around 7:45 and the ladies were preparing the buffet which is absolutely fine.....but it seemed like to get coffee was not straightforward. I had to ask them and wait for it and to be honest I just want my coffee as soon as I am up. We were the only guests of the hotel, but we had 3 rooms....so I am an early riser. But I could not have had hot food until everyone was up because we were a family. Again not a huge issue....but not nice either.
4) this place is far from restaurants or cafes. There is not much you can reach by foot if you are hungry. For us this was quite annoying as we did not have a car. I guess if you rent a car this is not a problem. But given that the only food you get is breakfast then if you are in the room at 18:00 and are hungry the only option you have is to get on a car and go somewhere else
5) there is something that really puts me in a bad mood if I am staying in a “five star hotel”...andthat is thin and old (as well as small and very few) towels. Or very scarse toiletries...
Linda/Tony I would really consider investing in some new fluffy, big and new towels for your rooms. Yours have definitely gone past their “best by” date. Please be generous in quantity as well. I had the smallest shower towel I had ever seen and of course just one per person. Also, we were two adults in a double room and in terms of toiletries we were given (in the overall 2 days we were there) 1 small shampoo and one conditioner and one small shower gel. No body lotion. So for two days my husband and I shared this one small bottle of shower gel....really annoying. I left before my third shower and after I had to ask for more shower gel to the lady making the room (and to be fair I saw that after I asked she did put one small shower gel...just one!).
Maybe these are not very big issues to some people, but others (like me) might care enough and would want to know about it before they book. Because expectations are really important.
How did you manage to describe this as a “five star hotel” on google...I really do not know. Please amend it.
At the same time I think it’s fair to also mention the positive things
1) the hosts Linda and Tony are very welcoming and nice. They shared information about restaurants and trips
2) the food at breakfast was nice
3) the rooms were nice
4) Linda very kindly brought us (to the Oyster Box hotel - where we had moved) an item we forgot at the lodge when we moved
Please also note that our disappointment has nothing to do with the not so great weather because I can assure you that for our last three days of holiday (with similar weather conditions) we had an amazing time.
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.