I was going to take my time to review all the hotels I stayed at in Vietnam but I just had to write this one because my personal experience was so bad and would rather let it all out now while waiting to go to the airport.
I’m also going to be very practical with this review to help inform others and will separate the hotel facilities review from my personal experience because perception is subjective.
I travelled through the country and altogether stayed in 8 hotels and ocean pearl was my last stop so comparison is based on all other 4 star hotels I stayed at here in Vietnam.
I booked a superior room (nothing superior about the room though) and was in block B which is a building at the back of the hotel (room 308) so wasn’t disturbed by the noise from the sky bar.
- Facade is great and quite flashy at night
- Has a sky bar for relaxing in the evening although comes at a cost
- breakfast was just alright, nothing fancy but not bad either.
- advertised as a 4 star and it’s clearly a 2-3 star even by Vietnam standard.
- reception lobby is open to the outside and has no a/c so if you have a long wait before traveling to airport, then you better off chilling somewhere with a/c (nearby bars or restaurant)
- room is very basic and has no appeal at all.
- open restaurant and just right in front of the pool. Not cool having breakfast in the morning with people taking a swim and vis versa.
- black molds all over the bathroom. I just had to keep my eyes glued to the top tiles when taking a shower
- no bell boy so good luck if you have a few luggages to wheel around
- the staff speaks very very very little English. I didn’t think this was a problem but you’ll understand better when I give my personal experience review below. Please double check everything with google translate if you still choose to stay at this hotel
- the curtains are old and definitely needs changing. You can tell they once used to be white.
- bedsheets were stained and old. These were permanent stains that wouldn’t go off even after washing hence should have been removed completely from the laundry. I had to put a towel over the bed because trying to explain to the staff was even more painful.
This was my last stop in Vietnam and was supposed to be the best part of the trip but the hotel experience ruined it.
- no personal touch re help with organising tours or providing guidance on what to do or see in Phu Quoc. I put this down to the English barrier. I eventually used trip advisor and nearby travel agencies to organize trips.
- the hotel don’t provide iron so requested for an ironing service. Was told someone will come up to my room to pick up and no show. I eventually used the hair dryer as a hack.
Basic English communication is just non existent which wasn’t a problem with my travel across the country until my stay at this hotel. I’m not expecting staff to be fluent but just being able to guide the guests around facilities in the hotel should just be standard and they couldn’t even help with that.
- a cleaning lady and man walked up on me while dressing up (I was practically naked), no knock or bell. No apologies either from the hotel.
- on arrival, I was told mini bar was free and I actually reconfirmed ‘free’ as it was the first time I had that offered to me in Vietnam. I also believed it because there was no price list in the room and on checkout was billed for items used. You can imagine the surprise on my face. Again, I’ll advise to use google translate or any similar app for communication.
- bed are so flat and old in my opinion and not comfortable at all
- I booked a double bed and got two twin bed pushed together instead
- mini bar was not cold at all so even felt cheated for being billed for the bottled water I took out of the fridge.
- for a hot city, the only place to cool off at the hotel are the rooms. As the restaurant and lobby are open air spaces, there are no a/cs
- the safe was not working so had to carry all my valuables around with me
- there was a constant beep from the telephone and I have to unplug it because it was one of those type of noise that keeps you up at night (not loud but repetitive irritating noise).
Attached are pictures of the restaurant facing the pool and a part of the shower with molds. The mold was all over every corner to the shower and more obvious because tiles are white.
In summary, I wouldn’t be staying here again nor will I recommend it.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC