Top Attractions in Playa Matapalo
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours • Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Admission tickets from ZAR 730.77
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- First time in Costa Rica, was not sure what to expect but this little town did not disappoint. Everyone we met were friendly and helpful in answering questions. We rented a golf cart, though really you could pretty much walk just about everywhere. The beach and the boardwalk were kept clean which is a big bonus for me..Written 16 March 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Matapalo Beach , south of Quepos, (right off road ).. is a juxtaposition.
On the one hand the beach goes on for miles and miles.. On any given day.. it’s just you and the beach.
No lifeguards, signs warning of dangerous undertows, some Airbnb’s, several eateries.
We stayed at an Airbnb. Most homes are gated, have guard dogs or have been abandoned all together. You’ll see tourist and lots of locales.
Costa Rican law allows any citizen ,40 feet from your property or the Airbnb you’re renting to park themselves Within ear shot.
I mention this because it makes for a precarious
Scenario. NEVER EVER leave your property.. towels, shoes , etc.. you will not find them
Unless there’s a dog or a guard , you will get robbed.
That being said.. The beach is beautiful, dark volcanic sand( avoid light colored bathing suits, difficult to clean).. The weather is mostly Hot, Humid, with occasional bouts of rain( last for awhile)..
we had Monkeys ( 10 capucinos) jumping, pounding on the roof( a little scary).. don’t feed them! They are destructive.
We had several sloths( they carry ticks) never leave the trees, fun to watch them move, like a slow motion movie..
Our biggest concern were the bats . They are active in the evening , fly aggressively towards you.
While we were told not to worry( most locales tell tall tales , so do your homework..).. They do bite
They do carry rabies.. we managed them by focusing our very strong flashlights on them.
The uncertainty and crime in this tiny town
Gives you pause.. we enjoyed our days at the beach, but would not return.
If you are adventurous, you’re within a short drive from Quepos and Domincal.Written 29 December 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Excellent staff, excellent environment/atmosphere. Super fun experience - you HAVE to try the Superman zip line! I can't say enough about the staff here. Each and every one of them a gem!Written 22 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I love to dive with Scuba Caribe when I can as they really deliver a great experience.
The equipment is top notch and well maintained so no trust issues that I sometimes get with solo dive schools.
Booked a 2 tank dive to Catalina Island because there is normally large species to see there including Sharks and Mantas.
Yesser was our guide and made everyone feel at home. On the first dive the visibility was not great but that is diving for you sometimes. Did a great drift dive and managed to spot rays, schools of fish and an octopus or two.
Viz on the second dive was a little better and we stumbled on lots of white tip sharks!! Would have been nice to see them before we were on top of them but as I have said already the viz is what it is when you dive.
School is managed by John and Lisa who are both great ambassadors for diving and Scuba Caribe as a company.
Thoroughly recommend them for anything from a try dive to certification. 👌🏻👌🏻Written 18 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Eric is awesome. We did a rainforest walk through, went to volcano for mud bath and hot springs. Then atv tour on the final day. Which was beautiful. We had Nolberto and Luis for our guides and they were awesome. I would reach out to Eric before even getting here instead of wasting your money at a resort. Eric's prices are fair especially since it's private tours.Written 5 March 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Me and my friends walked out of our resort, walked down to the beach, not knowing we made the best decision of our trip. Not knowing that within minutes would meet a local guide man that would change our whole Costa Rica experience. He opened his heart, his world and his love for his home too us. It was like meeting an old friend, you'd hadn't seen in too long. Taking us around to local bars, showing us the different beach and local life style and food mmmm ...that I can still taste when i close my eyes. i had never jet skied before but him and his guides made me feel safe and like i could do it all in their safe and patient hands (cut to me jumping some air on the jet in that beautiful salty clear blue ocean in gulf of papagayo. You wanna do it right, You wanna do it like the locals, you wanna see it Costa Rica on or off the map? Marco POLO is the key. Te amo amigo! no puedo esperar para volver! oxoWritten 7 January 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- A friend HIGHLY recommended working with Cesar from previous experiences and he wasn't wrong. My husband and I were specifically looking for ziplining, a waterfall, and some shopping. Cesar worked with us to put together a fairly priced private tour with Mr. Johnny as our driver (reminded us of my husband's father in the best way!!! thanks mr. johnny!!!!). Cesar was super communicative through Whats App and made sure everything was perfect. Ziplining at The Congo Trail was very fun and the Llanos de Cortes waterfall was gorgeous. We even met someone there that led us up a small trail to the top of the waterfall and got amazing pictures. Lunch at Soda la Fuente in Bagaces was absolutely delicious!! Mr. Johnny also took us to some stores for souvenir shopping and we ended the day watching the sunset at Coco Beach. Couldn't have asked for a better day!! Oh and i can't forget the massage Cesar's wife gave me a couple days later on the beach. Sushi (hope i'm spelling that right!) really delivered the deep massage i needed. She worked on knots that have probably been there for years. Thank you again!!!! Hope to visit Costa Rica again soon!Written 17 December 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We booked with Erick by Riu Guanacaste. He gave us a package that our family was looking for. We had a great time!! Thanks again!Written 10 April 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Had an early morning massage before leaving CR and Carla was wonderful. She gave me a great massage and was very professional.Written 1 April 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We booked two excursions with Sloths Guanacaste Expedition through Wilton Lopez (agent on the Riu Guanacaste beach) - private deep sea fishing (half-day) and waterfalls/rainforest/volcano combo (full-day) - and were happy with the experience. Fishing was very good, we caught a big mahi-mahi and two small black tunas. Nice clean boat, friendly captain and his assistant (sorry, don't remember the names), plenty of cold drinks and snacks. The combo excursion offered a lot to see - Llianos de Cortez waterfall, rainforest with sloths, howler and capuchin monkeys and multi-colored frogs, horseback riding, hanging bridges and another waterfall in the mountain, and finally volcano mud treatment and relaxing sulfur bath, which was really pampering. Our tour guide was Alex - a very knowledgeable, easy-going guy and a good driver. Definitely recommended.Written 23 November 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We booked a couples massage for us and our friends with Rebecca we would absolutely go back again and highly recommend if you’re looking for a well priced beach massageWritten 17 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Maria came to our rental in Playa Grande to discuss excursions- she’s personable, easy to communicate with, and so sweet!! She went over our options and talked with our group of 6 about how we wanted to spend our time. Once decided, she coordinated everything for us- we went back to the beach and relaxed and just had to wait for her call. She kept us informed, checked in on us and made sure we had everything we needed (including information unrelated to our tours) to have a wonderful trip, which I think is above and beyond! If you’re in the area, definitely use Maria. So many options and such a good time. Thank you Maria- Pura Vida!!Written 28 April 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- If you like massages don't miss the oportunity to book a massage with Steysy Castro on the beach you will love the experience and help the local economy 😃Written 26 October 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- The fresh air the sun and cool breezes from the ocean wow what a great place really enjoyed your time there and missed it when we came back home so we are booking againWritten 25 July 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We booked a kayak tour down the Savegre river and through the mangroves. It was a great tour. Saw a variety of birds along the river and going through the mangroves was so much fun. At the end of the trip we were greeted with a troupe of 20 to 30 white faced monkeys. they were crossing the river and we saw small babies on the backs of their mothers. It was great! Mauren the owner and her husband were very accommodating and the guides were great!Written 26 March 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about Playa Matapalo
- The best day trips from Playa Matapalo according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Rio Celeste Hiking, Sloth Sanctuary & Llanos de Cortes Waterfall Tour
- Beach-mountain & Sloth Refuge Buggy Tour
- Beach and Mountain Buggy Tour in Guanacaste
- Hanging Bridges and Nature Preserve at Tenorio volcano
- Half- or Full-Day Flamingo Beach Sport Fishing from Playa Hermosa, Coco Beach