Top Attractions in Volcano
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- What a special place to view for free many lovely orchids, as well as the $20,000 one! The scent of the orchids is in the air. Prices seemed reasonable for pots of orchids, instructions on soil and care, as well as packages of soil for the pot. A nice gift shop as well.Written 27 April 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The Kilauea Visitor Center should be your first stop before entering the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. The day we were there it was raining, and the Center and outdoor ranger exhibits were filled with many tourists. Rangers were available to answer questions and shared suggestions on what to see based on the time available for them. The Center offers a film “Born of Fire, Born of Sea” on how volcanoes are formed and passed eruptions. You can pick up brochures, maps, road conditions, and hike trail guides. There is a small gift shop where you can purchase books or souvenirs.
Looking for a Quick Steam Bath?
Down the road from the Kilauea Visitor Center there is a short trail that leads to Steaming Bluff, a series of steam vents created by ground water seeping into hot volcanic rocks. The area is fenced-off. These are located on the edge of the Kilauea Caldera. In the parking lot, there is a manmade steam vent.Written 16 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Given the novelty of this winery, we had to give it a try! The staff were all very friendly and knowledgeable about their wines, and it only cost $12 for 8 tastings.
The atmosphere was very cozy, and we were surprised by how much room there was inside. The tasting flight included their Symphony Dry, Pinot Noir, Volcano Red, Symphone Mele, Volcano Blush, Hawaiian Guava-Grape, Macadamia Nut Honey Wine, and Infusion Tea Wine. I loved the flavors of local fruits (such as jaboticaba) in some of these wines, but I wasn't a fan of the Infusion Tea Wine. In general, these wines run sweeter, not dry. After our tasting, my husband and I each enjoyed a glass on the patio, along with a cracker & cheese tray.
Great place to kick back and relax over a glass of wine!Written 27 February 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- It is amazing and breathtaking. We went everywhere! Just writing a review here because in spite of the government of Hawaii and it's people showed covid can't keep them down!Written 29 August 2021
- While this is a small gallery, and it is a bit off the beaten track.. this gallery is a gem.
Beautiful art glass, with all kinds of price points to purchase.Written 11 April 2021
- The Sunday market at Cooper Centre is a great local market which has a variety of goods for sale. We enjoyed looking at the various stalls and speaking to the vendors. You could buy artwork, food, plants and brick-a-brack. There's a thrift store at the venue and you can also get massages.Written 8 December 2019
- Really unique national park as it is the place where volcanos erupted in the past few years and in which there was an active eruption, which we viewed, at the time of our visit. Wonderful hiking through rain forests and lava flows. You can even take a 0.7 mile walk to some fascinating petroglyphs created by ancient Hawaiians and walk through lava tubes, truly unique!Written 1 April 2022
- We are so lucky to have this wonderful little farm in Volcano. The family who runs it is so kind and warm. The farm is beautiful and adorable at the same time. There’s always some baby animals and a variety of interesting farm life . Danielle is an amazing baker and her scones and bread and cakes are delicious ! I’ve been to a variety of events from baby showers to open houses to breakfast teas there . It’s always a delight ... with or without kiddos. So happy to have them in Volcano!Written 2 May 2020
- Erik was our guide and was extremely informative. He came prepared with ponchos for all 5 of us when it all of a sudden it started to rain. Definitely got so much more out of the visit to the volcano national park by doing this private tour with Erik than we could have ever just visiting ourselves. Highly recommend booking this tour!Written 26 June 2022
- We have visited 33 National Parks but never hired a guide until now and it was well worth it. Hayley was a wonderful tour guide from start to finish. She made scheduling easy and was very responsive leading up to the tour. She brought us to some incredible spots that we would not have found on our own. The view of the lava and early morning stars she got us was worth the tour itself. We would highly recommend this tour for anyone visiting the park.Written 21 June 2022
- I’ve been wanting to tour this volcanoes for many years and the epic lava tour did not disappoint. Very informative and informational tour! Follow their page on Instagram for a great sneak peek!Written 29 July 2022
- If you plan on visiting Volcano Village, you must stop at Volcano Garden Arts! Ira’s gallery is a beautiful and peaceful space, full of unique gifts and treasures. My husband and I spent quite a while browsing the gallery and the outdoor gardens. We purchased a few gifts for family members, as well as a couple of Ira’s clay masks to take home with us. We also had the pleasure of meeting Ira during our visit. He is such a kind, generous, and welcoming soul. We can’t stop talking about how much we love this gallery, and we can’t wait for our next visit to add to our collection!Written 1 June 2022
- Our party of 7 (all adults) really enjoyed this experience! Gwendolyn was our guide and was absolutely fantastic. She was so friendly and knowledgeable about the park, geological features, and routes. We loved the additional information she gave us about each site and she was able to answer all of our questions about the park and the volcanic features.
We booked the 1-5 tour and got back right before 5. The biking itself was tons of fun, not too difficult. There are some uphill moments and some paths with roots, but since they are E Bikes it isn't strenuous. The E Bikes themselves are easy to learn to ride if you haven't ridden them before, nothing to worry about. You do spend a lot of time biking on roads that to do not have any bike lane or shoulder, so be very aware of cars attempting to pass your biking group. Some of the paths are also rather narrow and are shared with pedestrians, which felt sketchy at times.
We thought this was the best way to see the park. You get to travel on paths pedestrians and car tourists don't get to see through the foliage and get so close to the crater. We were even able to see some active lava! You get to see lots of the park at once, including the Thurston Lava Tube (so cool). It rained on our way back to the HQ, but it was actually really fun to bike through the light rain. The company provides free rain jackets if you don't bring your own, and they actually kept us drier than our own raincoats did. They also give you a backpack with a good sized waterbottle and snacks. Remember to sunblock! We really enjoyed our experience and highly recommend it to other travelers - we can't imagine experiencing the park any other way! If you want to go to the gift shops or other park buildings, make sure to go before the tour, since they will close at 5.Written 3 June 2022
- I have done "photo tours" in many places across the globe and Ken's was one of the best (if not THE best) I have ever attended. The experience was very much customized to me and my needs/requests. We worked on all the areas that I had shared with Ken prior to our day out. I felt that the time with Ken was well worth it. And, to my delight, I learned far more than I had expected. Should you decide to work with him, you will find Ken to be a wealth of information, perspective and tips. He has made my photography far better in a short period of time. Thank you, Ken, for sharing your time and experience with me.Written 23 June 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Volcano
- The best day trips from Volcano according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Big Island Circle Tour and Volcano: Coffee, Wine, Waterfalls and Hamakua Coast
- Private Tour: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Eco Tour
- Hawai'i's Volcanoes National Park from Hilo Only
- Hawaii Volcano Adventure Tour from Hilo
- Hilo Private Tour : Visit the Most Recent Volcano Eruption
- The most popular things to do in Volcano with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:See all kid friendly things to do in Volcano on Tripadvisor