Top Attractions in San Juan del Sur
What travellers are saying
- Worth the walk UP the hill. Walk north on the beach, pass the ‘river’ then head off beach on to streets - start walking up the hil. It’s steep! But view is amazing. You could drive most of the way up. Park and then finish walk. There are steep steps at the end.Written 10 December 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great beach. Quick cab from SJDS - there is an entrance fee (2.00 usd ish) we had the whole beach to ourselves in the morning.
Small lovely hotel on beach has food and drink to purchase. Also, one seasoning of Survivor was filmed on this beach (for fans!)Written 10 December 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The whole trip and service from both Rosa and the driver was incredible. Firstly we were running late and Rosa not only waited for us, but also offered us to get drinks and snacks as she was aware we had been rushing.
When we got to la flor we were one of the only tourists there and got to release hundreds of newly hatched turles. Rosa and the driver didn’t rush us at all, we waited until all the turtles had reached the sea, and gave additional help to the ones struggling.
She also took photos of us and was very proactive about giving us a good experience.
We also went off season so Irvin was very proactive about finding out and contacting us when we could go.
Could not recommend more.Written 22 March 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- If you are coming to sjds and want to have a complete experience and not be just a casual tourist, take classes at this school. You will learn so much in a short period of time. They will tailor the classes to fit your needs and schedule. And the teachers are great. They make the learning fun. My teacher was Vanessa and I can't say enough good things about her. I actually extended my time here in order to take more classes. You not only learn Spanish...you learn Nicaragua!Written 9 November 2019
- This long sweeping stretch of sand comes with spectacular views of the nearby clifftops, including views of the Christ statue. Along the beach are plenty of restaurants where you can enjoy a meal or a drink while overlooking the ocean. The beach is more of a port beach with lots of boats anchored just off the shore. It isn’t the cleanest of beaches, but we did go swimming while we were there.
It is a good place to watch the sun set.
There are lots of vendors selling sunglasses and trinkets, so you do get hassled to buy things pretty regularly, but most vendors will quickly move on if you indicate that you’re not interested.Written 26 September 2021
- Cool place with great breakfast. Friends and I had breakfast here 4 days in a row. Great selection, delicious smoothies and juices. They are giving back by offering art classes to kids in the community. How can you go wrong?Written 29 October 2021
- Great little beach, just a short ride from San Juan Del Sur. Had a wonderful day here with friends. Learned to surf at Robertito’s Surf School. He was a great instructor. After a couple hours playing in the water we were able to kick back and enjoy great music, food and drink at the few little beach bars scattered across the sandy beach. This is truly a great hang out spot with a good beach vibe.Written 10 January 2022
- The beach was amazing, staff super friendly, great food and overall fantastic retreat! The day package was an awesome deal which included 1 hour massage, a surf lesson, lunch, and transportation to and from San Juan del Sur all for $50!!! Highly recommend!Written 5 August 2017
- We found out about this place by a poster in SJDS so we got a shuttle from our hostel out when the surf was blown out. The course is a 12 hole course and only cost C$50/each for unlimited play and lots of discs to choose from. Its a short course but lovely maintained and playable by all skill levels. Bring some bug spray tooWritten 2 January 2016
- Amazing, quiet beach - no facilities so be prepared! Great spot for sunsets. Less crowded than Hermosa.Written 15 March 2018
- Good menu, tasty dishes. Service was a bit erratic at times and they didn’t have a great choice for alcohol free diners, but it’s an attractive, lively venue and great for a bit of celeb spottingWritten 12 February 2019
- Walked in just to get an idea of the other school besides the ones described by Lonelyplanet. She got me right away. For me, it was the exact balance between strict and easy. Between grammar and conversing. But the greatest thing is that she is both a local hero and rebel at the age of 63. I would definitely recommend her. To get to know Spanish, and the local community. Classroom was not ideal but is about to be improved. Have fun!Written 24 November 2017
- Te plaza is easy to get to and there is a good selection of local crafts. Worth 40 minutes to stroll around. Close to the cruise ships.Written 25 December 2018
- Loved the availability of books and free WIFI.
Too bad their own computers didn't work, and also, you were only allowed to borrow two books at a time.
Well run by volunteers. What a great little library.Written 8 September 2014
- Playa el Coco is a beautiful beech with beautiful sand and water. The beech is a lovely place to find wonderful relaxation and an opportunity to forget about the worldly events.Written 19 January 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about San Juan del Sur
- The best day trips from San Juan del Sur according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Granada+Catarina lookout+Masaya volcano+handicraft market from San Juan del Sur
- Day Trip to Cascada Blanca Waterfall in Matagalpa from San Juan del Sur
- Amazing Waterfall San Ramon NicaraguaBlue River also in Costa Rica
- Shore Excursion to Lake Nicaragua & The Masaya Volcano
- Day Trip to Ometepe Island