What travellers are saying
- So, Dullstroom is not the most exciting place to stay, as we discovered), but the Rehab Centre looked right up our street. Quite a way out of town and a taxi was crazy expensive (not having a car) but I'd earmarked this place for a visit and it was such a great afternoon, probably better than I thought it would be. Not very many guests there as it was out of season and during the week so it meant we could take our time going round the aviaries, reading the stories of the birds and how they arrived. Some are there as just a stopgap in their recovery but others will never be able to fly free again due to various reasons but they have certainly got a great home to live out their years.
We wandered around, had a coffee in the café on site (the guys there were really friendly), wandered a bit more and made our way for the demonstration. Such a thrill to be able to see these birds so close and hear some very informative commentary on each one.
I know we went during the winter but the demonstration arena is quite exposed, it was cloudy, windy and cold, best be prepared for any eventuality!
The entrance cost was extremely reasonable and we even got senior rate (when did I get THAT old?!). After seeing what they do for the birds, the entertaining few hours we spent - we could have stayed longer - and the low entrance cost, we made a small donation too.
I doubt that we'll do other than pass through Dullstroom again but I really would recommend this place if you're driving over the Drakensberg and have some time to make the stop.Written 7 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- What a gorgeous place. This place is the third biggest canyon of the world. The depth is impressive. The view is just amazing. I recommend this place to see. Beware of if you have children because there’s no barrier.Written 10 February 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beer : the beer is very tasty and the beer tasting very well priced. Nice setting.
Service : I felt very looked after, service was great
Food : had the German platter for 2, it was ok, didn’t wow me, the portion for the sides was really small, lots of bread with little to dress it with - the sausages lacked juiciness.Written 19 December 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The most beautiful views
We went for a two hrs horse ride. We passed the dam and went up to the mountain where we could see the whole of dullstroom. The view was amazing, the staff is friendly.Written 21 June 2022
- Their Pizza is amazing. Met a Manger there who really looks after his guests well. Thanks Warwick.
Great place to take the kids.Written 3 March 2023
- Always a variety of artists and mediums on display; ideal to incorporate in your explorations of the areaWritten 24 February 2019
- Awesome tasting session! There is so much variety and caters to everyone from tequila to whiskey. The staff are very knowledgeable and passionate.Written 9 August 2023
- What a fantastic experience. Thank you Edrei and Malcolm for making our tasting such a special memory for our bachelorette. Our group of ladies loved it. The personal touches meant so much.
The variety of gins are incredible. Edrei was incredible from the moment I contacted her to arrange the surprise tasting. She put together a special cocktail with the bachelorette's favorite flavours which everyone loved.
We all chose our own flavors on the tasting menu and enjoyed the informative experience.
Definitely worth a visit. The decor is amazing too.
Thank you Dullstroom Gin.
We'll be back !!Written 12 November 2023
- Ideal place with great facilities for small or medium sized meetings or conferences. We used the facility for a special meeting and got a lot more than we paid for. Staff very helpful.Written 24 February 2021
- A great variety of all shapes and makes in this big clock shop if you don't find a clock here don't think you will find it somewhere elseWritten 13 January 2020
- Awesome experience and way to see Dullstroom. The ride was perfect, sometimes a bit slow with my horse who took the term “ Sunday stroll” very literally😅. The guides were really sweet and answered all our questions and made us feel comfortable. I would definitely do the 2hr hike next time.Written 9 August 2023
- You think that Dullstroom is just trout country? That it certainly is, but we discovered, to our great disappointment, that there also lurks a great big predatory retail shark, just waiting to prey on unlucky and uninformed tourists. The culprit: the proprietress of the Trout & Décor Boutique.
We visited Dullstroom recently with dear friends, who invited us to join them for a week of relaxation and to enjoy the best that Dullstroom has to offer. We had a great time, except we noticed that, perhaps because of the recent COVID pandemic, so many of the shops in town tend to stock low-quality, foreign-made tourist souvenirs that had no appeal whatsoever. Junk!
Then we visited the ubiquitous Milly’s shop outlet (great shop!!!! – if a bit pricey these days) and the nearby “Trout & Décor Boutique. That’s where the really bad shopping experience began!
The friendly (read: predatory) proprietress runs the retail part of the shop, while her husband seems to take care of the trout hardware and fishing tackle part of the business. The shop is relatively up-market and better than the run-of-the-mill Dullstroom fare (something the proprietress proudly bragged to us in conversation). We, together with our friends, made several purchases over the next few days, drawn by the select goods on offer and the tasteful way in which everything was displayed.
Oh! Like unsuspecting fresh-water trout tourists waiting to be murdered – in cold blood and with malice and forethought!
My wife and I decided that we want to get some of the fragrance candles that one warms over tea candle burners to freshen a room – of which they had a good selection. However, we were not too enamoured with their plain white burners, so opted to go to a nearby shop which had much more expensive but so much more tasteful burners and get one there – the “friendly” proprietress actually recommended her neighbour’s shop for that purpose.
Then we came back and enquired about the beaded “birds on a wire” that were placed in pots outside the Trout & Décor Boutique. We were told by the proprietress that the vendor (“he”) was not there that day (his display is usually on the sidewalk just outside), but that she was prepared to “sell them on his behalf” and would do us both a favour in order to secure a sale on his behalf.
We duly chose three and paid the amount indicated – R200 each. We found this steep so were glad to limit our choice.
A couple of days later, we returned to the site of the crime with our friends, only to be informed by the vendor who was there on that day, that he sells the beaded birds for HALF the price that we had been charged – R100 each!
I later went to tell the proprietress that I was “disappointed and disgusted” that she had added 100% profit to our transaction, when she had indicated that she was doing us and “him” a favour. Her response was that “we do, as I have to buy them from him first”.
Adding a 100% profit on unsuspecting tourists who had already made several purchases in the shop…..! Not holding any stock or having and overheads in this particular case - and selling someone else’s goods as a favour to all concerned on “commission” …..
The shop may be interesting to visit, but the proprietress clearly has a predatory approach and - in our case - did not display the kind of values that would draw us back to the shop. There is nothing like being ripped off by a smiley face to alienate one forever.
Be warned – stay away from the Dullstroom retail shark – you will be cheated!!!! We will never go back – the bad in the values and behavour of the proprietress outweighs the good of the tasteful presentation and display. Underneath it all is the philosophy of doing business …. This one just does not cut it from a sustainability perspective.Written 28 April 2023
- Callen and his staff are professional, friendly and timely.
I had an out of this world full body massage and would recommend them if you're looking for a wind down while in Dullstroom.Written 30 October 2019
- We bought some items from the shop and went back for more of their products. Just loved the hospitality.Written 19 July 2022
Dullstroom Attractions Information