What travellers are saying
- A really interesting museum spread over three sites (easy walking distance). Loads of information and historical facts to interest all ages (there are even 2 donkeys). A surprisingly impressive attraction in a small town.
Definitely worth a visit.Written 7 December 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Lovely reserve. Helpful employees. We walked to the waterfall and it was definitely worth it. Would like to visit again and stay in one of the cottages.Written 26 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We did this trail on the 3rd day and the morning of when we were supposed to leave.
This is not the only trail and formed part of the various MTB routes. We did not have time for the Marloth and other reserves, that has trails as well. Swellendam has so many trails to offer.
The trail itself was lovely and would switch between urban and forest as the route is explored. Challenging at some points and very enjoyable.
Out accommodation was close by at the municipal camping grounds and in walking distance from the start of the trails. We also MTB’ed some of the routes. Very safe to stay and Jean at the camp was most helpful to assist where she can. Felt so at home.Written 22 January 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The church is in the middle of town and we were just about to drive past it when we were attracted by the steeple and beautiful architecture. We went inside and were overcome by the grandeur of the interior and pipe organ. The church is known as The Mother church and has been central to the Dutch Reform movement for a couple of decades, A visit to the Old Drostdy ( Magistrate's homer and court) Is also so well worth it. I will stop and look and any Cape Dutch architecture I see!Written 11 October 2022
- Small national park just outside Swellendam. We saw a few antelope but not many, also saw a few birds but overall not a lot to see. The staff were friendly but the map and the verbal guidance given were not particularly helpful. The roads probably need an SUV to be comfortable and confident driving round (it had rained heavily that day). Low entry cost but would not go backWritten 11 October 2023
- We liked the colourful local artists displays (but others in our group were not impressed).
It had a surprisingly large display of modern art that we thought was good and although modern told its own story on the canvas rather than needing explanations to enjoy.Written 27 July 2016
- Visited just to take photos as such a lovely old building. Worth seeing and spending a little while here.Written 27 September 2017
- Located at the far end of town on the right just past Spar, this is a small modern and clean open air shopping mall which contains all types of stores for your shopping needs - including a checkers supermarket/shoe and clothes shops/cafes/bottle shop etc. There's also plenty of parking and the toilets are in good clean condition. We found Charlie's cafe to be excellent for both food and value.Written 17 February 2017
- We took our grand daughters to the fairy sanctuary and I can recommend it to any girl young or old. Has a feeling of much loveWritten 18 January 2023
- WHAT a great find this shop was....it seems a sin to call it a shop....it was more like a showroom!
Some STUNNING pieces of all sorts and, clearly, they have a big export market in their products...we spent some time talking to I THINK the mother of the owner who is the exporter! (her son!)
We did buy a couple of small items but were tempted to many more....British Airways baggage allowance held us back!
DEFINITELY worth a visit if you are anywhere near the area!Written 14 January 2018
- We should have realized what was waiting when we saw the ancient, small sign at the gate. We drove in regardless - just to find a small patch of dry lavender and nothing else. It advertised that it was open but it was not. There was a dilapidated caravan that was the supposed gift-shop. Please save your time and energy and don’t bother. I think I was even too shocked to take photos!Written 28 December 2017
- We had fun in the sun! The course has beautiful surroundings. We stopped here on our way home and their service was great!Written 4 January 2021
- This farm is close to Swellendam and offers a lovely tasting room. The team is well trained and offered great service. The farm stocks ranges of liqueurs, jams and pickles plus frozen berries, fresh berries in season and berry plants. Excellent prices and quality produce. We enjoyed a hearty, tasty breakfast at the tasting room. Ideal for lovers of hidden gems.Written 13 August 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Swellendam
- The best outdoor activities in Swellendam according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Swellendam on Tripadvisor
- The most popular things to do in Swellendam with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:See all kid friendly things to do in Swellendam on Tripadvisor
Swellendam Attractions Information