Historic Sites • Wineries & Vineyards
Showing results 1-30 of 37
What travellers are saying
- We went to South Africa for our 25th anniversary and were lucky enough to stay at Boschendal for the night of our anniversary. We stayed in the Retreat Cottages and it was delightful, the view of the cannas and the mountains in the distance is absolutely stunning. The gardens are beautiful, and the breakfast area was fabulous.
The team at reception very kindly gave us a bottle of wine on arrival and another bottle of MCC as it was our anniversary. The women on reception were just lovely! And we enjoyed them in front of the fire!Written 30 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We had a lovely brunch at the bakery and then had a real nice wine tasting experience at La Motte. Nice staff and wonderful viewsWritten 24 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Lovely welcome to this fantastic small family wine farm. All the staff were very welcoming especially Caleb. Choose the wine tasting and cheese and fruit platter which was so good! We asked where the cheese was made so that’s tomorrow’s day out sorted. The wines were all really good. Bought 6 bottles and some fresh peaches for breakfast. We will visit again for some wine and that cheese and fruit platter. As well as the lovely cheese and wine the views were pretty spectacular too from under the shade of the oak tree.Written 1 December 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Highly recommended! Unique scenery with a beautiful selection of wines. The personnel was very kind. A special thanks to Theswill who knows a lot about the wines and made it a pleasant experience.Written 1 December 2023
- Best Stop on the wine tram.Great wine and amazing brownies Shout out to Andrew - he was so wonderful. Scenery is fantastic!Written 3 November 2023
- On the recommendation of friends we made an appointment for tasting and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The gardens are charming and the staff very knowledgeable. We also enjoyed looking at the old homestead roomsWritten 1 November 2023
- Grande Provence Wine Estate has over a 325-year history. Nestled in the beautiful Franschhoek Valley in South Africa’s Western Cape, there are lush vines spread across 47 acres. Rolling vistas frame the valley floor and heighten the drama of the rugged mountains beyond. This is heartland South African Wine Country at its very finest. I enjoyed their Angels Tears Tasting which was, AT Sauvignon Blanc, AT Muscat, AT Rosé, AT Merlot/Cab Red Blend, and a Nougat Pairing.Written 19 September 2023
- Called here on the Wine Tram (Orange Line) on a beautiful day. Had coffee followed by lunch (lovely pasta in ragu sauce) and then decided to stay for a wine tasting when we saw the terrace overlooking the winery with the mountains as a backdrop. Stunning. The wine wasn’t bad either!Written 22 November 2023
- Mussa, our Tuk Tuk driver recommended we visit Dieu Donne Vineyards and it did not disappoint. We tasted 5 wines from their Premium range and loved every varietal. Sabrina was pouring the wine, she was very friendly and knowledgeable. We live in California and go to Paso Robles and Napa often so tasting wine that we believed was comparable to a Napa wine was a wonderful surprise. We wanted to ship a case or 2 home but unfortunately the cost was prohibitive. I would highly recommend visiting this winery!Written 22 September 2023
- We visited the place in august and it was not the harvesting season.
While we did not get to see the green plantations, we did get to do their vine blending experience which was quite fun as we got to make our customised wines. They would still taste the same, but a good experience.
Would have done the tasting as well, if we did not have to drive back to Cape Town.
Some things to keep in mind, they serve a lot of wine with any of their experiences so it is a good day to get drunk. The prices are very reasonable.Written 19 August 2023
- Recap >> Beautifully set on the top of Franschhoek valley, this lovely corner worth seeing and give it a try. Bear in mind to go after checking the weather forecast unless you keen to spend time in the cavey and dark tasting room. The outside-terraced-view-restaurant & balcony offer its best in fact. Booking highly recommended in winter too.
Story >> Went for a trip to Franschhoek in mid-August, lovely sunny warm day, perfect for bubbly hence we didn’t go with their reds, next come in will give a try definitely. Took bottle of Brut speaking of which, amongst the best MCCs in South Africa so far. We had a lovely chat with company rep, friendly and welcoming, she offered us a sip of their sparkling rosé. In general, if was not for this higher in grade (we assume a manager / supervisor helping out staff) arranging and accommodating clients & tables out, the service appeared lazy and superficial with workers busy ignoring clients like insects. And was not crowded day at all. Guess summer must be nuts. Besides, we didn’t really get why bottle at the factory costs more than in a shop in Cape Town. Restaurant menu questionable for a matter of variety and combo with wines.
Debrief >> German ownership, family business which went big. Impeccable presentation of product, attention to detail, cleanliness. All good but missing some vibes, South Africa at Haute Cabrière hard to feel. It’s more like a German wine farm set in a South African corner. It’s cold there even when it’s 40 degrees outside. Missing some local touch, in a few words too much of shareholders’ too less of locals’.Written 2 September 2022
- It took a bit of a beating during the floodings in September but was up and running again. We tasted some beautiful wines and were well taken care of.Written 24 October 2023
- Grand leopard that welcomes you, what a statement.
Beautiful establishment, spacious, open tasting room leading to the restaurant.
We so enjoyed the extensive wine tasting, fabulous wines selected and a few extras but so well conducted by several young women that were still doing their training towards an education within the wine industry- good luck to them.
We stated with the reserve tasting but extended our tasting due to the conversations with these two engaging ladies and other wine options were enjoyed.Written 10 November 2023
- A must visit for your to-do list! Excellent food, wine and service.... these guys get it right every time.Written 31 August 2023
- We ran out of time to visit the vineyard but had the very good fortune to meet the owner and taste 2 of the wines - at a cricket match of all things! The setting was idyllic and sipping the Sauvignan Blanc as the sun sank in the sky was delightful (and our team won - sorry chaps!). We then had the goof fortune to drink The Max Merlot with dinner - omg it is gorgeous! Stony Brook export direct to the UK so no middle man charges. What a shame we didn't go to the vineyard to experience more. Definitely next time - if there is one!Written 6 March 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Franschhoek
- These experiences are best for wineries & vineyards in Franschhoek:
- Wine tour to Stellenbosch & Franschhoek • incl tastings & lunch
- Wine Tour: Paarl, Franschhoek & Stellenbosch incl 3 wineries
- Full-Day Franschhoek Hop On Hop Off Wine Tram Tour from Cape Town
- Stellenbosch and Franschhoek 20 Wine Tasting & Lunch & Tasting Fees Shared Tour
- Private Tour of Top 5 Stellenbosch Wineries From Cape Town
- These places are best for wineries & vineyards in Franschhoek:
- La Motte Wine Estate
- Anthonij Rupert Wyne Estate & Terra del Capo Tasting Room
- Vrede en Lust Winery
- Glenwood Vineyards
- These are the best places for kid-friendly wineries & vineyards in Franschhoek:See more wineries & vineyards for children in Franschhoek on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for budget-friendly wineries & vineyards in Franschhoek:
- Lynx Wine
- Stony Brook Vineyards
- Anthonij Rupert Wyne Estate & Terra del Capo Tasting Room
- La Bourgogne Farm