11 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travellers are saying
- SANParks are generally very good with accessibility and this was no different. I did, however, feel it was the worst accessible experience I have had at SANNParks. The staff were very friendly and helpful, but the accessible cottage No 8 was quite difficult to use for someone in a wheelchair. There was a lot of furniture in the cottage, the doors to the room and the bathroom had round handles and narrow doorways, the beds were very high and the tiles in the bathroom were very slippery and dangerous for a carer. I also have to mention the ramp in the restaurant, where we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast each morning, was VERY challenging and I was lucky to have someone strong to push me down and up. The other accessible facilities were great and it was easy to get around the Park and the Karoo is truly beautiful.Written 3 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A superb overnight stop, we loved the place, very friendly, very clean and tidy too.
Had dinner and a couple of cold beers, lovely chatting to Marietjie.
Picturesque setting.Written 5 March 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Informative and well presented. Interesting to learn more about Christian Bernard, the heart surgeon. His upbringing, education and lifetime achievements.
One part of the complex has personal recollections and information of the clearance of the area during apartheid. Shocking what man can do to man.
Thankfull for this place to spend a few hours in a rather grim town.Written 28 February 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- What a true gem taking you years back in time, many good memories of times gone by. Excellent display, very well maintained - well worthwhile a visit. Sad that it is on auction and probably closing down in November 2018. Hoping that future owners will continue and maintain this beautiful gem in Beaufort West and contribution to our heritage and tourism in the area.Written 4 October 2018
- For a traveller from Holland Sout-African churches are both strange and familiar. This regards nearly all of the NG churches, and Beaufort-West's is a excellent example of a monumental and severe complex.Written 17 May 2017
- Initially we were not sure where the entrance was as it was not to clearly signposted. We managed to get in on time before 1pm closing time on a Saturday.
It was a very interesting & humbling experience seeing where the Barnard's stayed , their history & heartache of the area & era . Learning what they stood for & all the awards he received from across the world was incredible .
To learn that he did 1st kidney transplant as well before the 1st heart transplant but was never shared via the media , was rather sad. All because of the government at that stage.
After what they went through it was enlightening hat they still forgave & donated many of their belongings to Beaufort West . Loved the little church house .
Well worth a visit & to see replicas of what they used to perform 1st heart transplant is quite scary by today's standards & quite incredible actually.
The cost was R100pp & included a guided tour with many photo opportunities & is found in the main street . It's also surrounded by other historic buildingsWritten 6 March 2023
- We started out from Surettas B&B, who had left a map of this circuit in our room. The roads were all quiet during the Sunday morning and although many of the house were somewhat faded, it is lovely to see so many of them still around.Written 9 February 2013
- Historically significant from the Boer war but not well maintained by the municipality which is a pity. It can be made into a better tourist attractionWritten 2 June 2022
- Quirky mix of decor and junk :)
As good a spot to stop as any.
Limited choice of roadside goodies, some prices were a little high.Written 29 April 2021
- Completing the Sylvester Karoo Hike under the guidance of Douwe and Liezl Vlok was an unbeatable and privileged experience. The route, scenery and camping spots were spectacular. Douwe and
Liezl are amazing hosts and treated us to delicious and scrumptious meals. They made the strenuous, albeit stunning hike, as comfortable and pleasurable for us as possible. I feel revived and spoilt after my wonderful experience in the Great Karoo. With Douwe and Liezl, you are in good hands.Written 10 September 2023
Beaufort West Attractions Information