Historic Sites • Religious Sites
Top Attractions in Underberg
What travellers are saying
- Whilst this Monastery is no where near its best it is still worth a visit.
The architecture is phenomenal regarding where and when it was built.
The spiritual aspect is very evident inside the Church with the faithful going about their daily devotions.
Hats off to the NGO " Be Your Own Hero " in assisting with the renovations.Written 20 March 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This is not easy to find, so having a local guide you helps. There is a dirt, 4 x 4 preferably, road through the forest. This is quite a special place for anyone keen on indigenous forests, plants and birds.Written 5 February 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Beautiful place to visit. I have been there in autumn, stunning colors as leaves change. I have been when all the Azaleas are flowering, magnificent, every color you can imagine.Written 14 November 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Stopped here for breakfast. The tea garden has a lovely vibe and the owner is extremely friendly. The service was good, the portions were big and the breakfasts were satisfying. The coffee was amazing. They have the most friendly animals there. Will definitely stop again when we are in the area. Thank you.Written 30 July 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- What an amazing experience in beautiful Zululand! A 3-day birding trip into diverse and interesting areas with our excellent guides Emile and Ivor. We had lots of fun in our explorations and the team clocked 200 birds - very special times indeed. The trip was well balanced and superbly organized,and I will be back for the next adventure. Thanks so much to the whole Roof of Africa team. :)Written 1 April 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Climbed up Sani Pass with a MTB (don't even try it with a road bike). Accompanied by Roger, guide of Sani Pass. We had a great time. Roger stopped regularly so we could refill on water and sugar. Once above Roger gave us to option to continue uphill in Lesotho, which we eventually did. Magnificent day. Sani Pass + nice weather is a must see.Written 10 September 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Sandy and I decided to fill an item on our bucket list. I had contacted Main Adventures who arranged a 4x4 vehicle and a tour guide to take Sandy and I to the top.
Major Adventures Office Gardi Major arranged a private tour up the Pass.
Ellias the tour Guide was superb and his knowledge of the area and his past History of the pass and the surrounding area was incredible not one boring minute on the journey up and down. An extremely well organised trip. Well worth every penny we spent. Just Make a plan to do this and have a well educating and knowledgeable trip this is the definitely right way to go.Written 3 June 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Due to the current lockdown they did not have a wide variety to chose from. But from what we did purchase the quality and taste was amazing. Mexican cheese and garlic and onion is to die for..Written 19 July 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We did a sunset ride as a group of 5 friends and it was such a fantastic experience. The guides go to a lot of effort to match riders with horses according to experience, and the route is stunningly beautiful - the sunset was incredible and we even got to enjoy a little bit of the full moon on the way down!
The horses are obviously well cared for and were very sure-footed and confident on the mountain trails. Both the experienced riders and the nervous first-time rider in our group had a marvelous time!
We were staying at a different venue for purposes of doing a trail running event, but we’ll definitely consider staying at Khotso the next time we are in the area - we arrived a little early for our ride and had the opportunity to check out the lodge and to meet Steve and Adrian, and it seems like a fantastic place to spend a few nights relaxing and enjoying the beautiful Drakensberg.Written 5 May 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We visited the Sani pass with our two small children with Aldo as our guide. He is a perfect guide, he is an expert regard birds, bird also had excellent knowledge on nature, history, and most important, he is a very nice guy. We had an excellent trip, the food his wife Sharron made us was very nice and despite the rough road our kids enjoyed the trip as well.
If you're ever in the region, try to get him as a guide!Written 5 January 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We spent an amazing week with Brett and his family. Gorgeous rooms and view (Drakensberg at your doorstep), amazing food (what a cook Nita is) - put it simply, a place you just don't want to leave. And most important : wonderful people. It s not only spending vacation : you will feel like integrating into a community (especially when you play touch-rugby at sunset with locals:). And you will learn so much about South Africa. Even if you don't play polo, just go there and enjoy !
Precisely, regarding polo, well, you will improve, for sure, your hitting and riding skills. But first and foremost, Brett will help you forge a "polo brain". When I arrived i was a guy hitting (sometime:) a white ball on a horse. When I left, I was a guy passionate about the moves, the positioning, the strategy of polo... Straight to the point : if you are looking to raise your polo handicap, this is definitely the place. And you will enjoy polo at his best : mentally and physically challenging (be ready for South African chukkas;) but inclusive, affordable, friendly, humble. Club members you will play with are super nice and always strive to make you shine and have fun, no matter how much better players they are.
To sum up : probably the best-kept secret in the world of polo.Written 3 November 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We had a perfect 4 day trip to The Kingdom of Lesotho. Our tour was like entering a new and secret world. The landscape is one of the most phascinating, I have ever seen (something between the Andes, Canyons of Arizona and foothills of the Alps in Germany and Switzerland). The Basotho people in the highlands treated us very friendly and warm and it seems as they are satisfied with their simple but sustainable life consistent with nature and traditions.
One of the highlights were the Maletsunyane waterfalls near Semongkong, where we visited the second largest waterfalls in Africa totally alone (anywhere else in the world there would be a parking slot with hundreds of busses waiting for their tourists).
We were very lucky having a wonderful and intelligent guide David Peo (email@example.com) who seems to know everything about Lesotho, the Drakensberge and Southern Africa and has a great sense of humor.
So we had 4 fantastic days and when I waked up the next morning in South Africa, I asked myself, if it as real or just a dream of this forgotten kingdom at the roof of Africa.Written 25 February 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We booked a one week tour with Thaba Tours through Lesotho. We are quite adventurous travelers but wanted to have an expert driving and guiding us. Ray took us to all the important sites including the splendid Sani Pass. Ray booked us in clean, comfortable lodges and was an expert driver.
Very rewarding experience with a very competent, professional guide at a very reasonable price.Written 11 April 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We had a great day yesterday with my friends via Entabeni Tours n Mt Biking.although our trip planned late but indeed we enjoyed ourselvesWritten 11 October 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We did the Sani Pass day trip over the weekend with our amazing guide David. It was an incredible experience, stunning views and such a beautiful memory made!
David was absolutely incredible, so knowledgeable and enthusiastic, he took care of every comfort of the journey from the pick up to ensuring smooth passage at the borders. We felt extremely safe under his care going up and down the mountain due to his years of experience. The little touches such as taking us to a beautiful village in Lesotho and seeing how the locals lived, ensuring our mountain top experience was perfect and the wealth of knowledge he had of the surrounds made the experience all that more worthwhile!
Do yourself a favour and go on this adventure, you will not regret it!Written 19 September 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about Underberg
- The best outdoor activities in Underberg according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Underberg on Tripadvisor