- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
6 places sorted by traveller favourites
What travellers are saying
- Spent a full morning and half an afternoon doing two of the trails back to back. The Krokodilberg trail is the one labeled as ‘difficult’ so do that first - especially as early a start in the morning as is feasible. Even though this was labeled as ‘difficult’ it was anything but. On a scale of 1-10, where 10 is the hardest, this probably ranked a 4 to a max of 5. That’s coming from someone who hikes regularly while traveling but rarely exercises while not on vacation. If you are overweight and struggle to go up a couple flights of stairs then don’t bother with this trail as you’ll end up taking one of the exit routes along the way. Didn’t see any animals but did see a lot of birds, flowers and insects. Total time for the first trail was 4hr20min (with multiple rests, photo opportunities, etc…).
The Zebra trail is decidedly easier. It is probably a 2 on the same aforementioned scale of difficulty, or lack there of. We spent a solid two hours and ten minutes to do this trail but that was because we stumbled upon a herd of zebra and the lone wildebeest that joined them to munch on grass. Watching them behave entirely naturally with no safari jeeps surrounding them, ogling tourists, etc… was something we couldn’t pass up on (solid 20+ minutes).
Total time for the two trails with a break in between is ~7.5 hours tops.Written 2 December 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great hiking trail with great scenery. The place is brilliant to visit.
Down size are the random people on the trail with speakers and Los music.
All round the place is great and I shall be backWritten 15 August 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Don’t do the 15km trail if you doubt your fitness. The last 6km (after the split between the 15km and the 10km) is the toughest and requires grit and mental toughness to get through to the end. Very good training with a backpack if one wants to prepare for multi-day backpacking trips.Written 1 March 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- After dozens of visits to Buffelsdrift (about 30 minutes from Pretoria), I remain impressed but the trail maintenance and continual improvements. It's hard to get bored on their 85+km of tracks through beautiful landscapes (not through old dumps). The trails are mostly single-track with a few starter trails. There are long enough easy routes that in-experienced, but somewhat fit, riders can try them out--plus the 7km kiddie trail.
Compared to many of the farms or restaurants with a mtb-park attached, this is a mtb-park with a restaurant attached. Riders are NOT forced to cram distance through odd serpentines to create distance. Buffelsdrift has the space to create and re-route trails over a vast area, so you feel like you've gone somewhere. Nor will you have to decipher confusing trail markings, double-back, or wander around lost. It's all clearly marked.
Trail maintenance is year-round and extensive. I've never seen a hazard (fallen trees, broken pallets/bridges, ramps, etc) on a repeated visit. They maintain the trails such as the banks of the fastest sections (eg Supertube) throughout the year.
The park has been adding in enduro routes (lots of jumps and drops) while keeping the existing trails.
Parking can fill up, get there as early as you can. The showers are simple and often (not always) have hot water--bring everything else.
Playground: fine, seldom used, for older children (6 years+). Not much for young children.
The restaurant is fine enough, but service can be slow and get over-run. I've had to leave with hungry children b/c the all the tables were taken (1/4+ had finished their meals and were lingering)... My family hasn't tried to return there since. I rarely eat there, but it's all worth it for the best riding in the area.Written 25 November 2019
- Krokodilberg trails 10km
Zebra trail 5km
Dassie trail 2,5km
River trail 1,5km
The trails offers mountains, river crossings, caves, some historical points, game to see and, a Picnic Spot with braai facilities and swimming pools.Written 1 March 2020