- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
17 places sorted by traveller favourites
What travellers are saying
- We explored the neighbourhood with a guided walking tour, and hugely enjoyed the many beautiful murals and street art in this colourful re-developed neighbourhood.Written 25 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Enjoyed a great Sunday afternoon eating, drinking and buying all kinds of local crafts. This is a must visit if you are looking for a fun Sunday morning or afternoon. The Market on Main closes at 4:30 but there are plenty of other places in the neighborhood that stay open later.Written 3 February 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We found ourselves wondering out of our comfort zone and ended up at 44 Stanley. Not sure of the neighbourhood, my daughter and I were a bit sceptical when we first arrived. But we were pleasantly reassured about safety by the secure parking and felt safe at all times inside the establishment.
44 on Stanley is very much an upmarket market, with various local designer stores and lovely, but extremely busy restaurants. It is advised if you know before hand where you want to eat book a table in advance before you browse. The setting of most of the restaurants is outdoor, so I am not sure what it would be on a rainy day.
It is not a very large market area and the shops are speciality local designer stores.
We had fun just browsing and it was most definitely worth the wait for a table.Written 14 January 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Visiting the Lady of her beautiful house was an absolutely amazing experience; the history; the cracks of the wooden floors; the authenticity, I am still overwhelmed!! I am sending all my friends and family to experience this beauty!!! My phone died half way.... and it was really hard not to touch anything 😀Written 11 June 2022
- The best way, to learn more about history of South Africa in a calm environment with beautiful garden and friendly staff and specially tour leader, who will explain the whole house room by room in detail. You need at least 2 hours to fully cover the museum. As we live in south africa, we didn't need accommodation but the place is so much attractive that we decide to reserve a room in future and enjoy the garden and the atmosphere in this place. Defiantly, try the special tea of Satyagraha house.Written 9 July 2022
- Lamb tapas - Best lamb I’ve ever had. It was marbled and juicy and fresh. Delicious.
Pork tortellini- just 2 small portions, but incredibly delicious. Perfect combination of meat and pasta
Spider steak- some pieces are extremely rare which I didn’t like much, but the medium rare pieces were delicious with the pepper coating
Pork belly - meat is a bit salty, but delicious meal nevertheless
Craft beer - has an option of cannabis ale which is quite taste. The mad giant is an option you can’t fail withWritten 19 January 2020
- We did the Queer tour of Hillbrow and it was amazing! So inspiring and thoughtprovoking at the same time. The guides were really good and shared great information in a very good way. It was a good balance between actually seeing and feeling Hillbrow and getting some good stories about a part of Joburg history that is not so often spoken about.Written 25 July 2022
- We knew Rudie from our first trip to South Africa that was so perfectly organised that we did not have any doubts to whom we should write and ask about organisation of our Tanzanian safari. Of course everything was great! And it is in spite of many complications those bring us today’s Covid-19. Agnes helped us with contacts in Tanzania and I must openly say that all people whom we met were so great! Starting from Zanzibar hotels and finishing our final drive to the airport. It means a lot when everybody tries to help in different cases and shows respect to the organisers. We thank you, Agnes, very much and we will definitely ask you to help us with the next African trip.
Irina and the familyWritten 31 January 2021
- Our tour with Ilan was wonderful, Ilan went out of his way to make sure we had a very enlightening experience. The people of Klip Town were very warm and welcoming. This tour was a different experience as it wasn’t your usual tourist tour of Soweto. You experienced an insight of life in Soweto as well as leaning about its history. Ilan and his community are involved in the community in Klip Town which you could sense the support given by Ilan was genuine and appreciated by the community.
Throughly recommend this tour.Written 5 August 2022
- We booked our tour online from Canada, with Biggestleaf. Nine people, two in their eighties, some of us local, others from Canada. We had to postpone booking due to COVID and make other changes. Jennifer was awesome. The responses to email was super fast, helpful and professional. Everything was set up just right, including transfers from and to the lodge out of Johannesburg. Our driver and the vehicle were both excellent. Payment was safely done, even though they don’t accept credit card payments. Thank you Biggestleaf! You run a good business.Written 30 April 2022
- Siphiwe was really helpful guiding our group of 8 through Soweto, beginning with meeting us at the Apartheid Museum, and then shepherding us through various experiences in Soweto itself. I found him to be flexible (e.g. in this instance, we were able to use our own rented 10-seater van; though he is able to provide his own vehicle, too), responding to what we wished to see, but also utilizing other resources and township leaders with whom he has relationships. It seems he is empowering others to be guides in their own communities. This is a plus -- you're not just getting Siphiwe's expertise, but others he is employing to communicate their own stories. So, if you want a tour that goes beyond Mandela's house on Vilakazi street, I recommend Township Travel.Written 9 November 2019
- Darren's input made the difference for a group of 4 enthustiastic hikers that took on Mafadi, Drakensberg during December 2020. Even although the group didn't go with Darren, he made sure our team was well equipped with route plans, conditioning and training plans, etc. Darren's love for the mountains is contagious and he was really a great sport sharing from his experiences and in entertaining all our questions and sharing his expert advise. The input Darren gave us on meal plans, gear plans, travel plans was highly appreciated. The trip would not have been a success without Darren. Unfortunately, I had to pull out of the trip on the morning we were set to head to the berg, but hearing first hand from the experience of my friends, if you are going to the berg , tackling any sizeable peak or range you don't want to tackle it without Darren, or at least first calling him!Written 15 May 2021
- The ghost tours are an absolute must for locals and tourists. A truly unique way to experience the city.
I’ve been a captivated occasional attendee of the ghost tours in various cities over the last twenty years! Mark’s brilliant theatrical flair for story-telling keeps me coming back for more.Written 21 June 2022
- Today we made the 4 hours walking tour with Nkuli Tours and our guide was Mulalo. It was the most interesting day of our south africa trip i have to say. Mulalo was really kind, smart, knowledgeable and gave us so much insight about what had happened and what is happening in Soweto nowadays. Only through such an experience i think one can understand or actually ‘experience’ South Africa. we got to use the public transportation and saw all the classes of Soweto. Apart from that its so nice what these guys are doing for their communities. All the day we felt very safe. Definetly a must!Written 20 January 2020
- If your looking for a driver in Johannesburg there can't be any better than Moses. He was always on time & responded very quickly to emails or whatsapp . Always considered our safety & I would definitely recommend him . We will use again next time we are in Johannesburg.Written 11 February 2020