Top Attractions in Sarchi
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- To any of you that ever worked in machine shops or commercial woodworking shops (or if you just like to see industrial history) get over to this Oxcart Factory in Sarchi.
This place is still manufacturing oxcarts, complete with segmented wood wheels and forged steel rims. But the most astounding thing is their shops are still operating with overhead jackshaft power, running from the energy of an overshot water wheel. This may be the only privately owned water-powered machine shop left on the planet. Wow!Written 26 April 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A must see. So beautiful! Plants, flowers, Butterflies...so peaceful and relaxing. I would advise comfortable walking shoes. You will want to stay for hours.Written 12 November 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The guide working today (Danielo) was very informative and helpful! He is very knowledgeable about all the species of butterflies here, gently holding them for pictures and even helping me hold one. What a joyous place to visit for such a small price.Written 29 January 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We visited this cart factory as part of a tour group and it is located right on the road with limited parking in the front of the artisan’s souvenir shop. In the back is where the cart production is completed.
The tour was informative and we were shown the old mill wheel that still powers the means to hand craft these beautiful carts. Then we watched as the artisans hand painted the designs. There are several carts on the small property. The Costa Ricans still use carts for many of their tasks.
The store is very nice with a large selection of artisan souvenirs including wood and painted items with reasonable pricing and they will ship for a slightly high fee.
All of the staff was very friendly and helpful.
There are also beautiful hand painted murals on the walls outside as well.
The restrooms were roomy and clean.Written 26 March 2020
- This is a lovely church with a park in front of it. Great town to spend some time walking around in.Written 4 December 2019
- A great place to enjoy and learn about insects and other creatures like spiders. For a very convenient price they teach you about insect´s life cycle and behaviors.
If you are more of the adventurous type you can learn how to raise them in a sustainable way and why not include them on your diet...Written 1 June 2019
- This place still makes ox-carts! Most of them, though, are hand painted for souvenir sale. Other crafts, such as trays etc. are also beautifully hand-painted. There is a tour of the facility, and the water wheel powered tools are interesting to see at work. The gift shop is extensive.Written 2 December 2019
- This is a decades old traditional souvenir shop run by a cooperative. This means that the proceeds are distributed among the members which means you are helping the locals in a more equally way than shopping at a privately owned business.
You can find most of the souvenirs you can imagine, ranging from wine bottle stands to refrigerator magnets, and locally produced coffee (Naranjo’s) that by the way has earned lots of prizes on coffee expos and conventions internationally speaking. If you are purchasing a large amount, they will be happy to apply some discount.
Visit one the most unique Church temples in Costa Rica, located near here and pay this place a visit!
You won’t regret it!Written 22 March 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Sarchi
- The best outdoor activities in Sarchi according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Sarchi on Tripadvisor
- The best day trips from Sarchi according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Arenal Volcano & Baldi Hot Springs From San José
- Doka Coffee Tour- Grecia & Sarchi From San José
- Zipline Tour + Sarchí Town from San José
- Adventure Day Tour from Alajuela
- Full Day Tour to Arenal Volcano with Hot Springs and Sarchi