Beautiful place and must see in Guatemala.
Some practical advise for independent travellers.
- You can get to the park with collectivo from Santa Helena old busstation (terminal vieja) 4 times per day. We got one at 13.30hrs for 75Q (but we probably paid a bit too much). From Tikal to Flores the collectivo's leave from the parking lot at 11.30hrs, 15.30, 16.30 and one more after that.
- It's a good idea to stay overnight in the park at one of the hotels near the entrance (we liked to Tikal Jungle Lodge, next to the entrance of the site). You can get into the park with a normal ticket from 6.00 am. We did encounter few other visitors at that time and it gives you enough time to see all the highlights and be back for the 11.30hrs collectivo.
- You cannot buy a tickets at the entrance of the site! However, you can buy a ticket at the entrance of the park (18 km before the entrance of the site) on the Santa Helena - Tikal Road, but is closes at 17.30hrs. The collectivo will stop to give you the opportunity to buy a ticket. Alternatively, you can buy a ticket at the Banrural or CNH Bank. The tickets do not have a date yet, so you can buy them days in advance. Most banks close at 17.00/17.00 but the Banrural at Mundo Maya shopping center closes at 19.00 hrs (every day!). It took us 45 minutes waiting at the bank to get a ticket at the bank, while at the park entrance there was no line at all.
- A tickets costs 150Q. 100Q for sunrise or sunset. With a sunrise ticket you can enter before 6.00am, but you will need a guide, so it might make sense to do this on a tour. Moreover, it can often be cloudy at sunrise.
- In contrary to the info on the Tikal website. You can NOT use your ticket anymore on two day when you enter after 15.00 hrs. The ticket is only valid on the day you enter the site.