Historic Sites • Military Bases & Facilities
Top Attractions in Inverness
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- We didnt have much time in this fortress, but what we managed to see was impressive. We visited the The Highlanders' Museum inside for fortress and had a walk int the outer walls. A place to visit if you are in the area. Its also an operative base for The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland.Written 8 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Our tour guide Fiona was the best part. She was knowledgeable and accessible. I loved the distilleries' history.Written 30 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Pure joy seeing the raw beauty that is hard to find yet so close from the civilization...pure fresh air and the landscape, not to mention the lochs and streams are simply magnificentWritten 8 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful gardens. Loved the sensory garden. Unique and exotic plants. Tropics and desert all at one place. Great place to eat as well.Written 6 August 2022
- The perfect experience. The castle is closed for renovations and there's an admissions charge to the cathedral, so it being a rare warm sunny day, we decided to walk up to the islands. An excellent choice, with quiet private benches on which to sit and just listen to the river and birds. Perfect for a picnic if you're so inclined (and with many nearby groceries from which to stock up). Tall evergreens and beech trees provide shade for much of the walk and there's no question that you will leave most of the tourist traffic behind.Written 29 July 2022
- Great museum in Inverness. Not the biggest but certainly has a lot to look at. Very much enjoyed the print out sheets at a lot of exhibits giving further information!Written 6 August 2022
- Beautiful but small cathedral. Nice walk from town center across the river to the cathedral with lots of beautiful sceneryWritten 4 August 2022
- Happened to stay at the Struy Guesthouse which is a 5 minutes walk from the canal. The canal was interesting to me because it connects one coast of Scotland to the other coast.Written 24 July 2022
- This is an impressive looking castle from the outside but unfortunately it is closed until 2025, when it will become a visitor attraction, as it was used by the local council until now.
I will definitely be coming back to finally got to see the inside!Written 14 June 2022
- Just wanted to congratulate the team for fantastic service and making our trip to the theatre one to remember. Our phone call in to purchase tickets was handled so professionally and the young lady was extremely helpful - questions about using an access card to order companion ticket, information about accessibility, disabled parking, etc. The ambience around the venue was fantastic - live music outside and lots of people enjoying food and drink in the sunshine. The staff indoors were so helpful. We were shown the lift to access our seats and the staff member even came in to press the correct button for us. Being shown exactly to our seats. This makes a change from other venues being loosely pointed in the direction. To top it off The Stamping Ground was amazing. Just a big thank you to the staff and management for the theatre experience. We don’t live in the immediate area but the trip north was a special one.Written 31 July 2022
- It was worth a visit even though the castle was closed for renovation. The views were great and it's worth the walk and the time spent there.Written 12 July 2021
- Escape the city and be transported into a peaceful woodlands forest. Gentle river and beautiful mature trees. Loved it.Written 6 August 2022
- We thought this bridge, on the sunny day we walked along River Ness, made for a nice photo opportunity. Not sure is we would have made a special trip, but glad we happened upon it while out walking.Written 26 June 2022
- Impressive structure. We pulled off of the single track back road for just long enough to marvel at the sight and take a few photos, and we drove on that road under the Viaduct. The precise location is 57.475792, -4.061737. There is no place to park at the sight. However, it is but a 0.5 mile walk from the Clava Cairns where there is adequate parking.Written 27 June 2022
- A great location in the centre of Inverness so very easy access to the town’s facilities and hotels. The station itself is on the small side but big enough to offer all the usual facilities.Written 9 November 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Inverness
- The best day trips from Inverness according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Hogwarts Express and the Scenic Highlands Day Tour from Inverness
- The Isle of Skye & Eilean Donan Castle from Inverness
- Whisky Distillery Trifecta - Macallan - Glenfiddich - Glenlivet - Private Tour
- Highlander Loch Ness and Culloden Battlefield 8 Seater Tour from Inverness
- Isle of Skye Full Day 8-Seater Bus Tour from Inverness