Popular things to do
- 4WD Tours
- Half-day Tours
- Day Cruises
- Ports of Call Tours
- National Parks
- Day Trips
- Bodies of Water
- Nature and Wildlife Tours
- Horseback Riding
- Eco Tours
- Points of Interest & Landmarks
- Full-day Tours
- Airport & Hotel Transfers
- Special Offers
- Historic Sites
- Top Picks
- Likely to Sell Out
- Geologic Formations
- Family Friendly
- Caverns & Caves
Top Attractions in Dominican Republic
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- We took the VIP tour to Saona Island from Barcelo Bavaro Palace in Punta Cana. We booked the tour with Juan Carlos from Amstar. He answered a lot of questions and told us a lot of the bad reviews we read online were from the cheaper tours they no longer sell bc of complaints. The driver was on time at the hotel and we only made one stop to board people and one for restroom break as promised between our hotel and the port where we took a speed boat. We stopped on the beautiful sandbar and played in the Carribbean for about 40 minutes. SO BEAUTIFUL. Snack was a little on the cheap side, but lunch made up for it. There was lots of food, but I couldn’t eat the chicken bc it was undercooked. I still filled up on other yummy foods. Photographers at the sandbar did a nice job and were reasonably priced for the number of pictures. Less than $130. Friendly and good poses suggested.
Clemente, the guide for Saona Island was wonderful. He gave lots of interesting info on the way to the port and was friendly and fun. He was careful to make sure everyone was accounted for in the group. There will be people on Saona Island trying to sell things including massages and trinkets but they were not rude and took no for a answer. The beach and water were perfect. Don’t expect a lot of privacy. This is a popular destination. There was still plenty of time to swim around and enjoy yourself. We returned on catamaran with music, drinks, some ladies who led some dancing and a really fun group. It took longer than the speed boat but was a lot of fun. There is a lot of travel with this trip (2 bus trips, speed boat and catamaran) and about 2 hours on the island but the travel was enjoyable too! Don’t miss this tour! It was my favorite part of our vacation.Written 11 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- saw many iguanas here, visited as part of tour from Santo Domingo. I am not sure I should recommend it as part of the itinerary, as the tour around the lake and then going to Pedernales is brutal. 6am-9pm in the minibus.Written 1 February 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- If you want to escape the busy (zona colonial) Santo Domingo take a short taxi ride (20-30 minutes) and visit these caves. Go early and take your time to look around. It's worth it and it's too hot to rush anyway.
From a park at street level you walk go down a few stairs (wear comfortable shoes) to the bottom of the caves. Once at the bottom the view is amazing. oh and don't skip the last cave. It's different from the other two caves.
Once back at ground level I would recommend to walk to the third cave. You get a nice view aswell and you can stop at a small restaurant for a drink and/or a snack.Written 16 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We did the 7 waterfalls, and that was completely enough. The hike was the only downside(20-30 min depending on amount of breaks) but was absolutely worth it and I would absolutely do it again. They offer someone to follow and do pictures and videos and it was 100% worth the money. After we got back to the base camp they got our pictures ready and we ate lunch which was authentic Dominican food that was delicious.Written 30 July 2022
- Beautiful Beach Sand & Weather were perfect!!! The Melia beach resort has a private section which was a fantastic place to be at.Written 26 July 2022
- Wonderful colonial area. Plenty of small and cute restaurants, cafes and galleries. All attractions and historic sites have info plates in Spanish and English.Written 19 June 2022
- The experience was wonderful, the staff was friendly. I would highly recommend this our family of 6 ( adult children)really enjoyed it and couldn’t stop talking about it. The grounds at the top were absolutely breathtakingWritten 2 June 2022
- Disappointed that not all shops open. Cobblestones tough to walk on so good shoes a must! Went during the day so night might have more going on.Written 20 July 2022
- We went to Padre Nuestra Cave - we just drove to the park, paid 200Pesos per person entrance, and then 1.4 km further at the park entrance met a guide who offers a full tour for free (plus tips) which was absolutely awesome. He took us through the whole park, showed us the local plants, took photos and most importantly helped us on the last cave where you can swim in the dark in refreshing waters. You can also see the carving of the indigenous people here in this cave.
Ramon (the Guide) is very knowledgable and friendly, we actually ended up giving him 1000 Pesos as a tip which was worth it.
Can highly recommend this for any nature lovers! Bring good shoes, mosquito spray, water and bathing suit- no need for snorkelling gear as it’s too dark to see much in the Cave. We spent a total of almost 3 hours here.Written 18 June 2021
- We booked a water front cabana and spent a whole day . Our ship Carnival Mardi Gras docked here. There is a small water park with pool and ocean cabanas . It was a nice relaxed atmosphere. The cabana was enjoyable , you could jump right of the end into ocean . The pool, zip line was included . Food and drink was extra . Service was great . The cabana can easily accommodate 8 but there is really no limit .Written 10 August 2022
- We had an amazing time at Macao Resort! The vibes and ambiance was incredible. Rooms were very nice and staff was the best. We went preferred that is definitely worth it. With that we had access to particular restaurants, clubs, and our amazing butler, Will Carlos. He was very responsive and super accommodating. The preferred pool was great with adults only and great service from Jesse Ventura. Definitely recommend staying at this resort!Written 8 August 2022
- The waterfall is totally breathtaking.
But to get there I felt totally uncomfortable to the option to rent a horse. I’m vet and just looking up these animals I could see that they were hungry, seek and sad. They don’t take care these animals. Rather than reading horses you can go walking but they try to rent a boot for 15 dolar and starts to say that if you don’t pay a guide is very very dangerous to a lady by herself because you can be stolen.
Seriously?? After look other options I finally found a track (some meters far from the main track) to go walking without these boots and sad horses.
Was totally quite, beautiful and peaceful. Local people said anybody can walk alone because is very safe.
Do not let these opportunist guides harm your experience.Written 8 August 2021
- The route to the waterfall leads through curvy roads through high mountains. Last dozen of kilometers are unpaved and last 3 or so was probably the most extreme ride of my life - through the narrow road on clay-like mountain side with at least 300m cliff. But it was totally worth the risk. The sound of exotic birds echoing in thee mountains, the sound of waterfall, the narrow trails and overall inaccessibility makes the experience unique. The crystal clear water, and sounds filling the air seems magical.Written 25 September 2021
- We have been coming for 20 years and considered well deserved the title of one of the best beaches in the world . Not this year. The disappearance of turista caused by COVId, or perhaps the currents have caused an already dramatically reduced in size beach to be as filthy as we have ever seen it, with plastic everywhere. Thanks to whomever kept presentable at least the last portion near the braza del mar restaurant and sorry we did not have the foresight or courage to pick up some trash ourselves.Written 3 December 2020
- Stunning beach! Quiet, with calm and still water that's different shades of turqouise, and clear all the way down to the bottom!Written 10 May 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Dominican Republic
- The best day trips from Dominican Republic according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Monkeyland and Plantation Safari Tour from Punta Cana
- Private Catamaran - Private Boat (Small Group)
- Full-Day Small-Group Saona Island Tour
- Discovery Package: Snorkeling Cruise and Dune buggy Adventure At Punta Cana
- Saona Island Paradise From Punta Cana