Nature & Wildlife Areas
What travellers are saying
- This is an incredible and very special place to visit. The staff are very knowledgeable and the visit provides an opportunity to learn about the plight of big cats in the industry and conservation efforts aimed at protecting them. It would be a particularly interesting visit for children and all types of cat lovers! It is a very serene and magical place. The gift shop and donation opportunities are also fantastic. Cathrine was an amazing guide and expert in this field with a heart of gold. Highly recommend at least one visit! Making the enrichment items for the big cats was especially rewarding when seeing their enjoyment in playing with the creations. The session on animal communication and guided meditation is also highly recommended!Written 5 December 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- After driving a very dusty road to the Ulumbaza wine bar we had an excellent experience. The butternut soup we had was excellent with great service and a fantastic wine tasting. Driving in we expected something more but once in this beautiful cabin / Wine bar we were treated very well. We were the only two people in the room ( out of season) but the wien service and food was great. The wine is very expensive but delicious. If you wish to sit outside on clear days the views are also nice.Written 30 April 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Just such an amazing view of our Cape Floral right out of the bedroom window. The hikes are extremely safe and to sit and enjoy nature around you on Philipskop is a special gem for our Hermanus locals.Written 13 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I would highly recommend the Klein River Cheese Farm for a visit, especially if you have young children. The little ones will love feeding the animals. There is a lovely play area that is nicely shaded. What really made me happy was that the baby changing facilities were clean, and tidy. A real little gem.Written 20 January 2020
- Had a fantastic afternoon lunch there the other day. The views are spectacular, there is a wide variety of excellent, well priced food on offer and the staff were extremely friendly (Especially Lynda if I remember her name correctly). The ducks and crackling (the friendly pig) are just too adorable as well! Only complaint would be that they aren't open for dinner! This would be the perfect place for dinner and sundowners. Will definitely visit again.Written 28 January 2023
- Lovely place to stop for a beer between Hermanus and Gansbaai. Sat out in the garden with a tasting flight of beer and some cheese, admiring the viewsWritten 2 October 2023
- On route to Franskraal we stopped for a quick wine tasting at Raka. The cellar looks very nice and the wines was very good. A definite recommendation to stop and taste if passing by.Written 31 December 2019
- The evening was crisp and nippy, the people warm. A really lovely evening can be spent on the market square. We visited over the Easter weekend and wooden stacks/smooth pallets were set out and you were able to grab some food and a glass of vino in the square, sit at or on the stacks and enjoy the atmosphere. A few families brought their own picnics and purchased their beverages.
There were 3-4 stalls from vineyards, one stall sold beads/small toy items another table with fudge. There were three to four longer food tables, one silversmith stand and James who spins and colours his own wool. My son purchased a hat (R120-R150) at The hat table and is a bit disappointed that the hat is already fraying after a week and the band has fallen off.
The food at the stalls are quite pricey and we bought 2 slices of very good looking cake from the first stall at R70. Slices were not evenly cut on the cakes so the smaller slices definitely not worth the cost of R35 each. Was hoping for a bit more of a thrill with the taste to suit the look.
The fudge table had us ignoring our resolutions and we thoroughly enjoyed their buttery smooth flavours and went back for more.
There weren't that many pallets, so arrive early. As I have seen, a good idea is to bring your own folding chairs and share your pallet with another family (even one you've just met) and enjoy live music, a lovely atmosphere and relax. Watch out as the family pooch comes along too (along with all that comes with them!........)
Suggest possibly adding to the selection of stalls.Written 25 April 2017
- On our travels through South Africa, by chance, we came across Cold Mountain Vineyard, great wine, great people and most beautiful scenery, the highlight of our six week holiday.
The wine is marketed as Brunia and we enjoyed both the Sauvignon Blanc and Shiraz, both excellent value for money. After an hour, or so of wine and friendly chat with the owners Willie. and Annetia we headed to Cape Town with two cases of SB in the boot, Regret not being able to take more wine back to the UK, but we'll be back again later this year.
Thank you Willie & Annetia for the best wine estate experience!Written 3 January 2015
- We liked the trail very much as it is combined with a story (Haarkapper), is well maintained and - except for a few points - clearly marked and offers a variety of different views, interresting Fynbos-Vegetation and even in summer some flowers. Not so much recommended on a hot summer day as there is no shade at all - or in this case: Get up early and enyoy the cool, crisp mountain air on your way up.Written 6 March 2020
- Not the greatest location but our visit was certainly peaceful enough. The breakfast was very generous and tasty despite the eggs being a little overdone. Friendly staff.
I would most definitely recommend “Jolly Rooster”.Written 10 March 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Stanford
- The best outdoor activities in Stanford according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Stanford on Tripadvisor
- The most popular things to do in Stanford with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Panthera Africa - Big Cat Sanctuary
- Phillipskop Mountain Reserve
- Klein River Cheese
- African Wings - Day Trips
- Walker Bay Estate and Birkenhead Brewery
Stanford Attractions Information