We had our tour with Shaun. We noticed there hasn’t been many reviews before, so here are some practical tips:
- Shaun shared that the township tours are typically conducted by either him or Luthor (I hope I spelt that right). Both of them live within the area.
- The township is nearer to Hout Bay / Kalk Bay, rather than Cape Town. We took an Uber down from Cape Town, it takes about 45 minutes.
- At no point of the tour did we feel unsafe. The locals seem to know Shaun pretty well.
- Tour was very well-conducted. You can see efforts are made indeed to improve on the education level and conditions of the place, which is encouraging
- We were concerned whether it will end up being somewhat like a human zoo. When we were there, we didn’t get the vibe.
- Shaun was a great guide whom you can tell is genuinely keen to make life better around. We were pretty touched and inspired by his genuinity.
- All in all, this was a great tour, which I would highly recommend
- Bicycles are in functional condition, owned by AWOL tours. It wasn’t terrifying to cycle, and we thought the traffic was reasonable.