Recommended by 100% of travellers
Select Date and Travellers
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
Get a true taste of Melbourne’s food scene—and its delicious dumplings—on this walking tour of Chinatown. Explore the vibrant neighborhood and stop at various eateries to sample their renowned dumplings. Between bites, learn about the history of Chinese immigrants in the city and how they’ve created their own distinct “Melbourne-Chinese” cuisine. Enjoy a small-group experience with personalized attention and a chance to know your fellow dumpling devotees.
- You'll start at28-32 Elizabeth St28-32 Elizabeth St, Melbourne VIC 3004, AustraliaWe meet outside a store called 'The Persian Grill' on the corner of Flinders Lane and Elizabeth St, Melbourne. Note: This is NOT the same as Flinders Street.See address & details
- 1Flinders LaneStop: 60 minutesSee details
- 2ChinatownStop: 60 minutesSee details
- You'll end at131-135 Bourke St131-135 Bourke St, Melbourne VIC 3000, AustraliaWe end at our final venue, which is next to the tram stop on Bourke St and a 5-10 minute walk to Parliament train station.See address & details
- Eat your way through Melbourne’s Chinatown on this dumpling tour
- Sample many dumplings and try the city’s hottest chili sauce
- Learn about Chinese immigrant history and their cuisine in Australia
- Enjoy a personalized experience with a maximum of 10 guests per tour
What to Expect
Meet your guide at the entrance to Chinatown, where your dumpling walking tour begins. Before heading to your first stop, hear informative commentary from your guide about the history of Chinese immigration to Australia, which began in the 1850s. And as you explore various dumpling eateries, learn how the Chinese population influenced the city’s cuisine—and even created a “Melbourne-Chinese” adaptation that is much beloved by locals. Enjoy an evening of eating as you sample specialty dumplings at different venues and learn the process of dumpling making. If you dare, you can even try Melbourne’s hottest chili sauce on top of a dumpling. Compare tasting notes with your fellow dumpling fans—no more than 10 of them, as this small-group tour ensures a personalized experience. After a light, satisfying meal your tour ends in central Melbourne.
28-32 Elizabeth St, Melbourne VIC 3004, Australia
131-135 Bourke St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
- Expert commentary and history
- Try different styles of handmade dumplings
- Tea and water
- Try Melbourne's hottest chilli sauce
- Other drinks (available to purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking
- Vegetarian and vegan options are available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travellers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
Such a fantastic tour. As a local Melbournian, even I learnt so much about the city and some great local spots to eat delicious dumplings. Our tour guide, Sue, knew so much about each different dumpling and the significance of each dumpling to Melbourne and the Chinese region…
Date of experience: January 2020
Response from WalkMelbourne, Manager at Melbourne Dumpling Walking Tour
Responded 27 Jan 2020
Thanks so much Therese. It was a pleasure to host you both! Sue
We enjoyed the tour, meeting Monique and of course eating great dumplings. As locals we learnt new things about our great city along the way. The fact that it was an amazing Spring evening also helped. It was really interesting.
Went on the dumpling walking tour with 7 other people. We were taken to 4 quality restaurants that we had never considered entering. Our tour guide explained the different provinces of China and the differing types of dumplings. Fun night with plenty of quality dumplings to eat.…
Date of experience: September 2019
We couldn’t recommend this tour and the lovely tour guide higher. Very lovely and relaxed tour guide who was very informative about Melbourne and dumplings. We were a very small group which made for a cosy night and guide was very accommodating about some unforeseen…
Date of experience: August 2019
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: Walk Melbourne Tours
Melbourne, a hidden gem
A MUST DO TOUR We are born and bred Melbournians and loved every minute of this secret life that Melbourne hides fr…
Such a great experience!
We loved the Melbourne Foodie walking tour! We got to try a lot of awesome foods and drinks and they did an amazing…
The selection of sampling’s is very good, from dumplings to macaroons. The selected restaurants are in close proxi…
Melbourne Foodie Discovery Walking Tour with Monique!
What a sensational tour around some of Melbournes popular hot spots. Our tour guide Monique was extremely knowledge…
Now In the Know
Was a perfect tour for us, me Melbourne raised and friend from the UK both introduced to delicious eateries, tastin…
Another Great Coffee Experience!
We had another great coffee walking tour experience with Monique, this time in the Melbourne CBD. Just love findin…
Delightful afternoon tasting Australian favorites as well as unique specialties. Honey tasting, mackerel dumplings…
Very informative and friendly coffee tour
Very enjoyable tour. We gained a wealth a knowledge about coffee varieties and the whole process from growing to ro…
Didn't Want it to End!
What a treat it was for our group to spend a few hours walking the streets with Monique. From amazing coffee, to ho…
The tour guide makes the trip and lucky for us, Monique made the day for us. Beyond the food (which was wonderful…
Walk Around Food Tour
Definitely a must if you’re in Melbourne. Sue, our tour guide, was a walking encyclopedia. I told her we don’t need…
The coffee passion is right here!
We loved this tour! Being black coffee enthusiasts we wanted to learn more about how coffee is made and more about …
Amazing way to see the real city!
We visited Melbourne with friends and this trip turned out to be an unexpected hi light of our tour. Melinda our gu…
We had a lovely afternoon, walking the streets and sampling all manner of treats with our tour guide Malinda. We l…
We had a wonderful foodie tour with our amazing guide, Sue, who actually does know everything about Melbourne! A lo…
- Duration: 3h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+1 855 275 5071
Travellers also viewed
Frequently bought together
from ZAR 1,145.26*
Popular: Booked by 506 travellers!
from ZAR 1,619.56*
Popular: Booked by 1 022 travellers!
Frequently Asked Questions about Melbourne Dumpling Walking Tour
What time does Melbourne Dumpling Walking Tour start?
Melbourne Dumpling Walking Tour will start at 6:00 PM. Discover and book Melbourne Dumpling Walking Tour on Tripadvisor
Which attractions will I visit with Melbourne Dumpling Walking Tour?
During this experience, places you will visit include:Discover and book Melbourne Dumpling Walking Tour on Tripadvisor
How much is Melbourne Dumpling Walking Tour?
Melbourne Dumpling Walking Tour price starts from R 1 018,00. Discover and book Melbourne Dumpling Walking Tour on Tripadvisor
What is the Melbourne Dumpling Walking Tour cancellation policy?
Melbourne Dumpling Walking Tour cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Melbourne Dumpling Walking Tour on Tripadvisor