What You'll Do
Escape Lisbon for the day with a Local Host, taking the train to the enchanting town of Sintra like Lisbon's royalty once did! The town and its beautiful surrounds are more than deserving of its UNESCO World Heritage status, and with a Local Host by your side you'll discover why.
Be enchanted by the town’s palaces; the fairytale Palacio Nacional de Sintra, the extravagant Pena Palace and the imposing Castelo dos Mouros - which was built in the 9th century! As well as these historic landmarks, stroll through beautiful gardens and take in incredible views over the town and surrounding forests from the battlements of the castle.
Enjoy an authentic local meal at one of the tascas, outdoor cafes or traditional restaurants which are dotted all over the town, tasting the delicious dishes that the region is famous for.
While you're in Sintra, you may also want to visit the rugged shores of the Atlantic and the most westerly point in Europe! Here, you can relax on a secluded beach that only the locals know about and explore an abandoned convent which was carved into the cliffs, soaking up its incredible history.
On this experience you’ll spend time getting to know your Local Host, who will be able to offer insights and knowledge not only about Sintra, but also about what to do and see in Lisbon, so you can make the most of your trip!
What To Expect
* Take the train from Lisbon to spend a day exploring Sintra, a charming town in the foothills of the Sintra mountains
* Explore this magical town and discover its hidden gems like tiny craft shops and hidden viewpoints
* Visit its famous landmarks like the Palacio Nacional de Sintra, the Moorish Castle and the Pena Palace
* Enjoy an authentic meal at a traditional tasca or restaurant
* Discover a deserted convent carved into the rocks on the a wild Atlantic beach
* Soak up the charm and history of this fairytale place and discover another side of Lisbon's charm