View all photos (250)
Likely To Sell Out
Select Date and Travellers
Low Price GuaranteeNo Booking Fees
Trying to trek along the frozen Johnston Canyon without a guide could be tough in frigid temperatures with icy walkways. Opt to take this guided tour from Banff, and see wildlife, waterfalls, and, of course, a lot of ice. Plus, this tour provides round-trip transport, ice cleats, a hiking pole, a snack, and a hot cup of cocoa to make things super easy on you.
- A guide knows the Johnston Canyon Icewalk® and helps keep you safe
- All equipment—ice cleats and a hiking pole—is provided for convenience
- A snack and hot chocolate keeps you warm and energized
- Round-trip transport is included with this Johnston Canyon Icewalk® tour
What to Expect
After being picked up from your Banff accommodation, your guide takes you to Johnson's Canyon for the icewalk and gets you suited up with ice cleats and a hiking pole. During your hike, walk about 3.4 miles (5.5 kilometers) and the elevation gain is 443 feet (135 meters). Learn about the history and geology of the area, as you keep a lookout for wildlife, such as wolves, moose, elk, and coyotes. See the upper and lower waterfalls trapped in ice. Afterward, enjoy a snack and a cup of hot chocolate to warm up before getting dropped off back at the original pickup place in Banff.
- Professional guide
- Ice cleats
- Hiking pole
- Maple cookie snack, hot chocolate
- Small group size (up to 12 guests per guide)
- Optional gratuities
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 8 years. All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or guardian of any child under the age of 18.
- Guests should dress in ski wear for this trip including hats, mittens, and warm boots. A detailed list of items to wear and bring is provided on your voucher.
- A moderate level of fitness is recommended to ensure that you enjoy the tour.
- Please note that this tour stays on the trail and does not traverse the ice due to safety concerns.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travellers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travellers
If you cancel within 2 days of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel at least 3 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
About the operator
By: Discover Banff Tours
Stirling, United Kingdom288
Super, safe, memorable
I went on the lake louise tour combined with 1.5hr Dog sledding out to the great divide. I was picked up from…
Ice Walk Johnston Canyon
What an incredible day trekking through the canyon with ice cleats. Frozen waterfalls, rock formations and…
Woodstown, New Jersey12838
Evening Ice Hike up the Canyon
We were picked up at our hotel by our guide, Jeff. A very knowledgeable gentleman, he took our group up the canyon…
My partner and I had tried snowshoeing before in Lake Minnewanka, however, this tour really showed us what it's…
San Diego, California959
We had a great guide-Andrew (try to reserve with him). Let us experience the night without our headlights on a…
Evening Ice Tour
Excellent tour! Our guide Nick was superb -gave us some local and historical tidbits and did not rush us as we…
Great Guide (Neal)
Had an amazing time with our Discover Guided tour! Neal was very knowledgeable on the history as well as the…
My husband and I recently visited Banff and did the Lake Louise day trip with Discover Banff. It was coupled with…
Sterling Heights, Michigan51
This is a must in the winter when visiting the Banff area. Our tour guide, Nick, was very informative and made…
Beautiful and informative.
Bow fall was beautiful, the photos I got didn't do it justice. Lake Minnewanka is absolutely amazing, the sheer…
- Johnston Canyon
- Duration: 4h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Instant Confirmation
- Hotel Pickup
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+1 855 275 5071